Pound sign (was Re: the Telephone Test)

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Fri May 19 08:39:37 AEST 1989

In article <2015 at dlvax2.datlog.co.uk>, gis at datlog.co.uk ( Ian Stewartson ) writes:
> In passing, I noticed that the SOED defines a dollar with two vertical lines
> and not the single line on my keyboard.

The US dollar is supposed to have 2 vertical lines (it's derived from
overstriking U and S). The dollar symbol with one vertical line is actually
the Australian dollar sign (derived from overprinting A and S and deciding
that it looks too much like the US dollar sign, and so simplifying it).

All rather academic at this point.

Business: uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter, peter at ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180.
Personal: ...!texbell!sugar!peter, peter at sugar.hackercorp.com.