When is a cast not a cast?

Jim Vlcek vlcek at mit-caf.MIT.EDU
Sat May 20 08:19:39 AEST 1989

John Lawitzke writes about a certain poster who has delighted himself
lately by posting deliberately obnoxious nonsense in response to some
reasoned articles stating why adding two pointers is meaningless:

``This is comp.lang.c most of the articles I've just read from [annoying
  poster] (about six) were just noise corrupting the bandwidth of this
  newgroup that is more appropriate for mail to the author. I know
  this comment should be mailed to [annoying poster], but it is also
  appropriate to others posting non-newsgroup related items. TAKE YOUR
  FLAMES ELSEWHERE!''

A friend of mine has a small child (about three years old) who has
reached the ``why'' stage - deliberately provoking her parents with
constant ``why's'' just to see how far she can push them.  The poster
Mr. Lawitzke is talking about reminds me of this small child.

May I second Mr. Lawitzke's notion?  Let's freeze this guy out and not
respond to his articles on addition of pointers any more.  I think
that the important points of this issue have long since been settled.

Jim Vlcek (vlcek at caf.mit.edu  uunet!mit-caf!vlcek)