Moderated C group ? (was Re: Postin

Frans van Otten fransvo at maestro.htsa.aha.nl
Tue May 30 17:42:59 AEST 1989

Doug McDonald writes:

>If comp.lang.c is made moderated, there really SHOULD be a parallel
>unmoderated group.  Moderated groups are NEVER as successful as
>unmoderated ones.  At least I've never seen one.

How do you measure successfullness ?  Do you also count flame wars
and multiple answers to the same question ?  If this this is true,
what are the reasons ?  (Maybe speed ?  A moderated group is
somewhat slower than an unmoderated group.)

>What might be better is a moderated comp.lang.c.excerpts, where a moderator
>censors the regular comp.lang.c, so persons who are sufficiently
>lazy to run through it all can look at the summary, a week or a month or
>a year late!!!

A moderator is not for the service of lazy readers.  A moderator is
to guard the contents of the newsgroup.  Also, I think it is useful
to try to keep the net volume low, instead of increasing it.  Although
flamewars and alike can be fun to read, I really don't think they
belong in a group like this one.
--
Frans van Otten                     |   fransvo at maestro.htsa.aha.nl    or
Algemene Hogeschool Amsterdam       |   fransvo at htsa.uucp              or