sccs troubles

Jon H. LaBadie jon at jonlab.UUCP
Tue May 23 15:36:26 AEST 1989

I've recently begun using the BSD program called sccs, to interface
to the sccs system.  I've run into a defect using the "info" command
that requests which files are currently open for editing.  "sccs" always
reports "Nothing being edited"!

I've tracked the problem down to the fact that sccs is reading the wrong
directory.  It is using the current directory rather than the designated
SCCS directory.  Here is the situation:

		      SRC
	         ______|__________
		|      |          |
	       x.c    y.c        SCCS
			   _______|_______
			  |       |       |
		        p.y.c   s.x.c   s.y.c

Within the "clean" function of "sccs", the line:

	dirp = opendir(buf);

is reached.  Buf is "SCCS" and opendir returns a valid (non-zero)
pointer.  However, in the subsequent loop checking file names, "x.c",
"y.c", and "SCCS" are found rather than "p.y.c", "s.x.c", and "s.y.c".
Thus, no "p.XXX" files are found.

The environment is SVR3.0 on an AT&T 3B2 and version 3.51 of the O.S.
on an AT&T UNIX-PC.  Directory access routines come from the "ndir"
package that was published on the net.

  Any idea what gives?