Day of week routine

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Tue May 30 09:29:54 AEST 1989

In article <554 at drd.UUCP> lawrence at tusun2.knet.utulsa.edu (Mark Lawrence) writes:
>} Note that not all countries adopted the Gregorian calendar at the
>} same time.  (Japan was quite late, something like 19th century?)
>
>Just going through receipts for an expense report for a trip last
>week and I spot a receipt for a train-trip to Yumoto which took place on
>May 15, 1 Heisei.  Last time I was there, everything was dated 63 (or was
>it 64?) Showa.

Two different problems.  Note that it *did* say "May 15".  That's the
Gregorian calendar, specifying number of days in each month and when the
leap-years occur.  The *name* given to each year is a different story.
Most of the Gregorian world uses the standard "AD" numbering, but Japan
numbers from the start of the reign of the current emperor.  Last time
you were there, Hirohito was still alive.  (Yes, he'd been emperor for
over 60 years.)

The mind boggles at how many programs had to be fixed to know about the
new year numbering...
--
Van Allen, adj: pertaining to  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
deadly hazards to spaceflight. | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu