Day of week routine

James D. Allen jamesa at arabian.Sun.COM
Tue May 30 12:01:02 AEST 1989

In article <1989May29.232954.25638 at utzoo.uucp>, henry at utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
> >May 15, 1 Heisei.  Last time I was there, everything was dated 63 (or was
> >it 64?) Showa.
>
> Most of the Gregorian world uses the standard "AD" numbering, but Japan
> numbers from the start of the reign of the current emperor.  Last time
> you were there, Hirohito was still alive.  (Yes, he'd been emperor for
> over 60 years.)
>
> The mind boggles at how many programs had to be fixed to know about the
> new year numbering...

Are you sure?  Even the most loyal of Japanese programmers should have
anticipated outliving the aging emperor.  Now a Christian programmer whose
software is ready to switch to the year 1 A.A.  (Anno Antichristi) ... that
would be defensive programming!

> --
> Van Allen, adj: pertaining to  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
> deadly hazards to spaceflight. |

James Allen, interj: pertaining to
dreadful hazards of unmoderated newsgroups.