Posting

Tim_CDC_Roberts at cup.portal.com Tim_CDC_Roberts at cup.portal.com
Tue May 23 03:27:17 AEST 1989

In <2189 at thor.acc.stolaf.edu>, mike at stolaf.edu writes:

> I think that all the noise that has infested this group will go away...
> Disclaimer: not a wizard, just a frustrated reader.

Why does this stuff frustrate you?  From the flames that some of these
threads get (Mike, yours was not a flame - I have now moved on to
generalities), I honestly cannot tell what the "wizards" would like to
see in comp.lang.c.  Would you say, "Issues Involving the C Language"?
Well, what is the pointer arithmetic confusion if not an Issue Involving the
C Language?  Would you say, "Intelligent Debate on Topics of Interest"?
Again, given the volume of postings, I would say most of the recent "silly
questions" have BEEN topics of interest.  Would you say "Pieces of C Code
Which Have Astounded and Amused Me"?  Great, but if that's all there were,
this would be a quite place.

After a person has amassed a certain amount of experience and moved into the
"wizard" real, I think he has an OBLIGATION to provide intelligent and
understanding replies to less experienced readers.  Chris Torek is a
shining example of a person who meets this criteria.  Doug Gwyn is a
shining example of a person who does not.

So, wizards, what is it you DO want in comp.lang.c?

Tim_CDC_Roberts at cup.portal.com                | Control Data...
...!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!tim_cdc_roberts |   ...or it will control you.