Posting

fawcett fawcett at steven.COM
Fri May 26 04:47:04 AEST 1989

In article <18663 at cup.portal.com>, Tim_CDC_Roberts at cup.portal.com writes:
> In <2189 at thor.acc.stolaf.edu>, mike at stolaf.edu writes:
>
> > I think that all the noise that has infested this group will go away...
> > Disclaimer: not a wizard, just a frustrated reader.
>
> After a person has amassed a certain amount of experience and moved into the
> "wizard" real, I think he has an OBLIGATION to provide intelligent and
> understanding replies to less experienced readers.
>
> So, wizards, what is it you DO want in comp.lang.c?

O.K.  I may or may not be a wizard, depending upon the day of the week, but
I think that I know what I want out of this newsgroup.  I want a place
where I can ask or answer questions that are causing specific problems.  If
the problem is one that can be stated in general terms, then do so, but
give an example of what you mean so we can all really understand it.

What will reduce the signal to noise ratio here is really very simple
netetticute.  If the individuals responding to an article will hit the 'r'
key instead of the 'f' key, it would help quite a bit.  Once an individual
has solved their problem, they can post a summarizing answer, if they wish,
giving all of the suggested procedures, the reasons they chose to employ
the one they did (if any at all), and how it worked.

In addition, the people reading this newsgroup should remember that
there is no such thing as a stupid question, so *FLAME OFF* here.  Just
because the answer is intuitively obvious to you does not mean that it
is to me.  There *will* be a time when *you* have to ask a "stupid"
question.

Software Engineer          /          /    /        /    /   /    /   /     /
Sierra Geophysics, Inc .   -----     /    /---     /-----   /-----   /-----/
P.O. Box 3886                  /    /    /        /   \    /  \     /     /
Seattle, Wa.  98124      -----   -----   -----   /     \  /    \   /     /

Voice: (206) 822-5200    uucp: ..!uw-beaver!sumax!quick!ole!steven!fawcett