ansi c and directories

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Mon Nov 27 05:07:40 AEST 1989

In article <17359 at rpp386.cactus.org> jfh at rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
> i've worked on enough strange o/s's that i can safely say the number of
> operations common to all hosted implementations directories is the
> empty set.

The only operating systems I know of that wouldn't support "Open current
directory", "Next file in current directory", and "Close current directory"
are either obsolete (one person brought up CDC NOS) or are required to hide
file names for security reasons. Given your security background I would expect
such operating systems would loom pretty large, of course.

[ long description of weird file name conventions ]

Yes, but that's not relevant. Nobody said that the standard had to specify
what a file name looks like. All these apply equally to "fopen", etc...

> hell, my hp-41cv didn't even have a directory, i think.

Didn't have files, either. And probably can't run C.
--
`-_-' Peter da Silva <peter at ficc.uu.net> <peter at sugar.lonestar.org>.
 'U`  --------------  +1 713 274 5180.