ansi c and directories

Tapani Tarvainen tarvaine at tukki.jyu.fi
Mon Nov 27 17:29:11 AEST 1989

Irrelevant though it really is to the discussion at hand, I can't let
these pass by:

In article <7108 at ficc.uu.net> peter at ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:

>Didn't have files, either. And probably can't run C.

The HP-41 most definitely has both files and directories.
(Not subdirectories, though:  Each disk/cassette/ramdisk
has a single-level directory.  File names consist of 7
characters, types are coded separetely and you can't have
two files with the same name but different type.)

What comes to running C, well, I don't think a C compiler for it
exists, or is likely to -- but impossible it wouldn't be.
Not even a full hosted implementation, I think.
(Perhaps I should try writing one.  Sounds like fun, and probably
would be a good contender for the "weirdest machine ever to run C"
contest:  Two separate address spaces, one 10-bit words with
16-bit addresses, the other 56-bit words with 10-bit addresses,
CPU registers 56 bits wide; the OS doesn't know the concept of
"command line", though it could be faked; etc.)
--
Tapani Tarvainen    (tarvaine at tukki.jyu.fi, tarvainen at finjyu.bitnet)