PDP-11 data and function address spaces

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Tue Nov 14 08:05:03 AEST 1989

In article <5121 at ncar.ucar.edu> thor at stout.UCAR.EDU (Rich Neitzel) writes:
>Alas, you have forgotten the 11/73 and 11/83.

Also the PDP-11/55.  I think every PDP-11 model >= 44 other than 60
supported separate I&D spaces.

>... they are alive and kicking ...

The PDP-11 line was great.  The reason it is generally considered in
the past tense is that modern expectations are extremely hard to meet
with an architecture that limits a process's (I or D) address space
to "only" 64Kbytes.  Therefore people who are used to modern computer
architectures consider the PDP-11 obsolete in this very important
respect.  Undoubtedly they are still useful for many things; I wish I
had one.