LD error. What does this mean?

Jef Poskanzer jef at well.sf.ca.us
Wed Aug 15 09:29:30 AEST 1990

Many problems with Sun's shared libraries can be solved by remembering
to run ldconfig (as root) after making any changes.  Other problems can
be avoided by remembering to increment the version numbers every time
you install a new library, whether you have compiled any applications
with that library or not.  But I have yet to solve this one: when I
try to run some of my X applications I get "ld.so: libXaw.so.4: not found".
There are two strange things about this.  One, version "4" doesn't exist
and has never existed; I have versions "4.0", "4.3", and "4.4", but
no "4".  Two, when I run the exact same program under trace, the bloody
thing works perfectly.

Sun's shared libraries suck.
---
Jef

  Jef Poskanzer  jef at well.sf.ca.us  {ucbvax, apple, hplabs}!well!jef
   "Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand." -- Laura Creighton