Doctor C's Pointers

Inst.f.Techn.Informatik inst182 at tuvie
Thu Aug 2 21:13:11 AEST 1990

root at wotk.UUCP (Superuser) writes:

>I was reading the August issue of The C Users Journal and came across
>this in Rex Jaeschke's article -

>(  It also allows expressions such as                            )
>(                                                                )
>(            "abcd"[i] and f()[j]                                )

>                           ^^^^^

>I thought this was taboo. What's the story on this?

Why should this be taboo?
Provided f is declared as
	sometype * f (void)
it returns a pointer to sometype, and I can subscript that pointer like
any other pointer. After all, in C arrays are treated like pointers to their
first element in almost any context. (Hope, the wording is correct, I don't
want to go through that Arrays-are-not-pointers discussion again)

Peter J. Holzer

|    _	| Peter J. Holzer			| Think of it	|
| |_|_)	| Technische Universitaet Wien		| as evolution	|
| | |	| hp at vmars.tuwien.ac.at			| in action!	|
| __/  	| ...!uunet!mcsun!tuvie!vmars!hp	|     Tony Rand	|