SUMMARY: C Compiler Predefined Manifest Definitions

Steve Watt steve at wattres.UUCP
Thu Aug 23 15:20:06 AEST 1990

In article <12313 at paperboy.OSF.ORG> dbrooks at osf.org (David Brooks) writes:
>In article <191 at n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US> wht at n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US (Warren Tucker) writes:
>>In article <185 at n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US> I wrote:
>>> I would like to compile a list of pre-defined manifest constants
>
>Contributors might want to use this shell script, which I extended

[ chunks of script removed ]

># My "strings" will read stdin, but the manpage doesn't guarantee that.
>cat $CC $CPP > $tfile1
>strings -a -2 $tfile1 |
>sed '/^-D.*/s/^-D//' |
>sort -u |
>awk '/^[a-zA-Z_][a-zA-Z0-9_]*$/ { printf "#ifdef %s\nZ__Z%s\n#endif\n", $0, $0 }' > $tfile2

cat $CC and $CPP?  I'm not allowed to do that, except as root or bin...
-rwx--x--x   1 bin      bin        62140 Aug 21  1989 /bin/cc
-rwx--x--x   1 bin      bin        39062 Aug 21  1989 /lib/cpp

Which brings up what I consider to be a strange point:  Why is it that most
*NIX vendors ship systems with all the files in /bin and /usr/bin world-
readable?  It seems to me that they only need to be world-executable...

And I could imagine someone learning some unpleasant things with a dis-
assembler and some program that does important things... (/bin/passwd,
maybe?  naah...)

OBTW:  SCO ships things with 711 permissions, unless it's a shell script.
Interesting, since they seem to be more concerned about security than most...

Followups to comp.unix.questions, since this ain't C.
--
Steve Watt
...!claris!wattres!steve		wattres!steve at claris.com also works