SUMMARY: C Compiler Predefined Manifest Definitions

Michael Meissner meissner at osf.org
Thu Aug 23 02:15:08 AEST 1990

In article <191 at n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US> wht at n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US (Warren
Tucker) writes:

| I apologize for the lousiness of this summary.  I meant to make a
| tabular representation, but my typing is already slow and I have
| been quite ill since posting the request. I will attempt to
| do so when I get well.  Thanks to each of you for your response.

| DG Aviion:
|         D__ghs__ -D__m88k__ -D__DGUX__ -D__STDC__ -D__unix__ -D__using_DGUX

That is DG AViiON using the Greenhills compiler.  Delete the __ghs__,
and add the standard GCC stuff (__VERSION__, __INCLUDE_LEVEL__,
__BASE_FILE__, __GNUC__, and optionally __OPTIMIZE__ if optimization
turned on, __STRICT_ANSI__ if -pedantic is used, __CHAR_UNSIGNED__ if
chars are unsigned instead of signed) for the GNU C compiler, which is
the standard compiler.  GCC also puts out all of the standard defines
with two leading underscores and two trailing underscrores.  If you
use a strict ansi mode, the standard defines without the leading and
trailing underscores are done.

| DEC3100:
|         -Dmips -DLANGUAGE_C -DMIPSEL

Add -Dultrix, -Dbsd4_2, -Dhost_mips, -Dunix, -DR3000, -DSYSTYPE_BSD.

Add the standard GCC defines for GCC on the Decstation when 1.38 comes
out.

For OSF/1 rather than ultrix, take the GCC defaults, remove ultrix,
and add OSF, and OSF1.

| John Hascall  hascall at atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu
|
|   They following are defined on my DECstation:
|
|       unix bsd4_2 ultrix mips
|       host_mips    ! presumably for cross-development
|       MIPSEL       ! MIPS Endian Little (as opposed to MIPSEB [big])
|       LANGAUGE_C   ! I guess you can run other languages through the
|                    ! preprovessor?

Yes, for example if you do not use the -nocpp switch, the assembler
defines all of the macros except for LANGUAGE_C and defines
LANGUAGE_ASSEMBLY instead.
--
Michael Meissner	email: meissner at osf.org		phone: 617-621-8861

Do apple growers tell their kids money doesn't grow on bushes?