Info request for Power C compiler

Mark W. Schumann catfood at NCoast.ORG
Fri Aug 3 02:36:08 AEST 1990

In article <24164 at boulder.Colorado.EDU> mdperry at beagle (Marc D. Perry) writes:

>I recently received a package of postcards from BYTE magazine; each
>card contains advertising info on a specific product and one of these
>sounds too good to be true.  For 19.95 MIX software will send you the
>Power C compliler with features like: make, linker, libraries (10
>bucks more), 600 page manual, ANSI std., IEEE floating point,
>automatic register variables, supports all graphics.  They also show a

                          [lots deleted here]

>Marc D. Perry                               (303) 492 8258

I've used Power C almost exclusively for utilities and just
hacking around with DOS.  It is an excellent deal.  My only
major disappointment is that its object files are in a
proprietary non-Intel format (.MIX extension), and the
tech support people won't tell how to convert a .MIX file
to .OBJ.  There is, however, a utility included that will
make the conversion the other way.

Therefore, you can include assembler or other routines in
your Power C program, but there is no realistic way to
write Power C functions to link into an application written
mainly in some other language.  Don't believe the /q switch
in the documentation--it doesn't work.

This has been a major hassle for me as I do a lot of
Clipper programming and would like to link in some hot
C routines... oh well, it was just 20 bucks.

By the way, their debugger is excellent too--except that
it doesn't understand arrays of function pointers and refuses
to run when it finds them.

Buy both if you want to get out cheaply and learn some C.
For a realistic production environment, maybe not.

Hope this helps.

Mark W. Schumann
catfood at ncoast.org
uunet!usenet.ins.cwru.edu!ncoast!catfood

Mark W. Schumann
Domain: catfood at ncoast.org
UseNet: ...cwjcc!ncoast!catfood