How dare you!

Steve Shapiro Steve.Shapiro at p0.f35.n382.z1.FIDONET.ORG
Tue Feb 6 02:08:01 AEST 1990

On <Feb 04 20:02> Andrew Cowie writes to Steve Shapiro:

 SS>I have just turned on this echo and am wondering if there are many
 SS>MicroSoft C v5.1 programmers out there.

 >>BTW, this is the wrong place to ask. Try comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer
 >>when
 >>it is created in a few days. Also, please do not clutter the net with
 >>questions like this: These articles travel all over the continent, and
 >>sometimes all over the world. For some companies, this costs major
 >>dollars.

It is rather tough to leave messages into a newsgroup BEFORE it has been
created.

I understand how these newsgroups work and have been involved with them
(although not this one) for years.

 >BTW. This is not some small local echo net, nor is it FIDONET. It is
 >as USENET,
 >informally as news. The subgroups (what you would call conferances)
 >are called
 >newsgroups. Ergo, you just "subscribed" to the newsgroup comp.lang.c.
 >Ergo, you don't know what it is about, Ergo your question. PLEASE,
 >wait
 >for at LEAST two months, reading all the articles to learn what kind
 >of discussions take place, then, if you have a question that would be
 >>of
 >major importance to the rest of the world, because you have read all
 >the
 >manuals without finding your answer, then you can turn to this group.

I have been reading this newsgroup for some time and do not find my question to
be any less valid than those I have seen.

I have several questions regarding Microsoft C v5.1 which I have not been able
to get answered, either by Microsoft, internationally via the FidoNet C echo or
locally via the local pc users group.

At least everyone else believes that questions are how we learn.

> This is a flame of sorts, but more a helpful hint in an attempt to
> redirect those poor lost souls who haven't had time to experiance
> USENET yet. -> Try comp.sys.ibm.pc. Also, since there are around 5000
> flavours of UNIX, all anoyingly different, mention that you mean DOS
> MSC 5.1 (Xenix 386 2.3.2, for example, uses a version of MSC 4.0)

Well then keep it to yourself. I feel that flames are unneccessary in so simple
a question as I have asked. I do not appreciate your comments or superior
attitude. A 2 page diatribe from you regarding a 2 line question is ridiculous.

The actuall transmission time of the 200 characters I typed to be transmitted
worldwide is probably less than the cost of a candy bar. Lighten up about
costs.

I am glad that the rest of the Unix community is not as snobbish as you are.

Part of my project will involve porting C from PC's to a variety of Unix
platforms. Did you ever stop to think that maybe I first need to establish if
the kind of support regarding my programming language is available before I
dove in to a several page long diatribe?

 >Unnecessary. Like I said, this is going all around the world.

Do not judge lest ye be judged yourself.

Thank you for your help and assistance. No, don't bother with me again. I can
see that you would rather abuse than assist.

Regards,
Steve.

--
Steve Shapiro -- via The Q Continuum (FidoNet Node 1:382/31)
UUCP: ...!rpp386!tqc!35.0!Steve.Shapiro