RISC Machine Data Structure Word Alignment Problems?

Ronald S H Khoo ronald at robobar.co.uk
Mon Feb 12 22:13:09 AEST 1990

In article <17906 at rpp386.cactus.org> woody at rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) writes:

> MS-DOS.  I have to do things like reach out over the network, and read
> data structures out of the remote controllers.  These structures for the
> most part, are a mix of byte and word fields.  I then have to parse through
> them, and isolate the parts.  Structures are the obvious way to do this.
> BUT, the @#$% compiler choses to pad byte or char values out to ints.

#ifdef MEDIUM_MADRAS

You don't think this is a hint that it would have been *so* much easier
if everything spoke *text* instead.  Sure, there's the overhead of
binary->text->binary, but the advantages outweigh the cost, especially
if you ever have a mix of controllers with wildly differing internal
architectures.

Oh, you want to discourage that to lock your customers in? Excuse me.

#endif

--
Eunet: Ronald.Khoo at robobar.Co.Uk   Phone: +44 1 991 1142    Fax: +44 1 998 8343
Paper: Robobar Ltd. 22 Wadsworth Road, Perivale, Middx., UB6 7JD ENGLAND.