RISC Machine Data Structure Word Alignment Problems?

Mark Brader msb at sq.sq.com
Tue Feb 13 18:10:15 AEST 1990

> I can see no more reason why strings of ASCII characters should be
> transferrable by hardware with little software intervention than binary
> integers, other fixed place binary numbers, other types of numbers ...etc.

Because ASCII is, after all, the American Standard Code for Information
Interchange, and those other things aren't.  See signature quote.

Followups to comp.arch.

Mark Brader, SoftQuad Inc., Toronto, utzoo!sq!msb, msb at sq.com
	A standard is established on sure bases, not capriciously but with
	the surety of something intentional and of a logic controlled by
	analysis and experiment. ... A standard is necessary for order
	in human effort.				-- Le Corbusier

This article is in the public domain.