RE Zortech problems

Gary Sarff gsarff at meph.UUCP
Sat Feb 24 09:05:24 AEST 1990

In article <48cc3c8b.20b6d at apollo.HP.COM>, nelson_p at apollo.HP.COM (Peter Nelson) writes:

> I was quite nonplussed by some email I received from Walter Bright
> on his BBS in Washington State in which he said that my criticism
> of Zortech in a "public" and "insulting" manner was "not appreciated".
> And that I should restrict my "public comments to polite requests
> for help".
>
> After spending a ton of money on the original compiler and another ton
> of money in toll calls to Arlington and long-distance calls to Washington
> State, I've got to be polite, too?!   To begin with, I'm not a very polite
> person.   And, anyway, I didn't think I was *that* insulting.  Everything
> I said was true.   In the past I've talked to the technical support staffs
> of XYQuest, 5th Generation Systems (Fastback), Softlogic, Lotus, Quarter-
>  .... [deleted]
>
>                                                ---Peter

It sounds like this person has a problem, (maybe the whole company has a
problem.)  I have been very glad for your posting, I gave it to a person here
at work that had been looking for a compiler for a pc so he could see what
dealing with Zortech might be like.  Of course this point is irrelevant to
the actual quality of their compiler, and the fact that the pc user wanting
C++ really doesn't have much choice _but_ Zortech.  But I think things like
this should be discussed in a public forum, that is how competition works,
and if another company sees this and decides that they will do better,
then Zortech had also better improve or go under, their choice.  With some
companies, the spread of public opinions like this is the only leverage
the poor customer has to make the company do anything.  And if someone can't
stand the light of public scrutiny they should go hide under a rock.