Wanted: Expression Evaluator

Charles Hannum CMH117 at psuvm.psu.edu
Thu Feb 22 15:41:31 AEST 1990

>In article <4365 at jarthur.Claremont.EDU> ssdken at jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Ken
>Nelson) writes:
>>Hi:
>>
>>   I need the C source for an expression evaluator. Something that can
>>   understand things like this:
>>
>>      A/B*LOG(D)
>>

>>   The evaluator would get A B and D from a symbol table, evaluate the
>>   expression and return the result.
>>
>>   Anybody have such a beast????

I have an O(n) parser that I think will do what you want.  It uses a stack-
based algorithm which I invented and later discovered that I was not the first
to do so ...  <sigh>

Virtually,
- Charles Martin Hannum II       "Klein bottle for sale ... inquire within."
    (That's Charles to you!)     "To life immortal!"
  cmh117 at psuvm.{bitnet,psu.edu}  "No noozzzz izzz netzzzsnoozzzzz..."
  c9h at psuecl.{bitnet,psu.edu}    "Mem'ry, all alone in the moonlight ..."