Zortech problems

Walter Bright bright at Data-IO.COM
Sat Feb 24 06:48:42 AEST 1990

In article <48c74cd1.20b6d at apollo.HP.COM> nelson_p at apollo.HP.COM (Peter Nelson) writes:
< The company is in London, UK, and Alington, Mass.
< Why is the BBS in Washington State?

	Zortech has offices in London, Arlington and Seattle. So what?

< But Walter's "Organization:" is
< listed as "Data-IO Corporation; Redmond, WA".

	Data I/O is kind enough to let me use their Usenet connection.
	Zortech doesn't have a VAX.

< They can get by like this only as long as
< they have no serious competition in C++.  That won't be for long.

	People have been predicting the imminent demise of Zortech (and
	previously Datalight) since day 1. The usual reason given is that
	the 'next' release by Borland/Microsoft is just going to blow
	us away. Well, we've been in business for 6 years and do better
	every year. The eternal next release, when it materializes,
	usually evokes the comment "yeah, but the 'next' release ..." :-)

	The compiler was started back in 1983. The universal comment I
	got from everyone was "Why are you doing that? You can't possibly
	compete against the 'big' companies." They're quite wrong.