open this package and you're stuck with it

Dave Jones djones at megatest.UUCP
Fri Feb 16 11:05:18 AEST 1990

>From article <48a44d7c.20b6d at apollo.HP.COM>, by nelson_p at apollo.HP.COM (Peter Nelson):

>    ...  manufacturers are abusing the
>    "you open it, you can't return it" clause on their packaging.

I would be interested to hear from some lawyer-types on this issue.
I was under the impression that just about every state has an
'implied warranty' law which would nullify the statement on the
shrink-wrap package if the product is demonstrably defective.

But then you probably would not go through the hassle of trying to
recover the cost if they stone-walled you, so the point is moot.
I for one have never bought a product bearing such a statement,
and I probably never will.

[ Followups should go elsewhere. Where? ]