getting a key from stdin in UNIX

Michael Meissner meissner at osf.org
Tue Feb 13 03:32:01 AEST 1990

In article <11961 at frog.UUCP> john at frog.UUCP (John Woods) writes:

| > > Oddly enough, curses does not exist on Univac 1100 systems running EXEC-8
| > I think it's quite appropriate, since curses is likely to be available to
| > the majority of C programmers reading this list.
|
| And most interestingly, the Berkeley curses implementation is available
| under the new Berkeley Copyright (i.e., use it, enjoy it, thank us if you
| sell it), so if EXEC-8 CAN support curses, there is no excuse for it
| not to have it.

That may be, but I doubt that BSD curses would be all that ameniable
to running on EXEC-8.  BSD curses assumes 8 bit bytes and 7 bit
display.  The last time I used EXEC-8 (oh, about 15 years ago), it
used 9 bit bytes (since the Univac computers are 36 bit machines).
Also, I suspect BSD curses assumes 2's complement arithmetic, and the
Univac computers used 1's complement arithmetic (ie, -1 did not set
all 1 bits, -0 did).
--
Michael Meissner	email: meissner at osf.org		phone: 617-621-8861
Open Software Foundation, 11 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA

Catproof is an oxymoron, Childproof is nearly so