open this package and you're stuck with it

Daniel Edelson daniel at saturn.ucsc.edu
Thu Feb 15 09:31:43 AEST 1990

In article <48a44d7c.20b6d at apollo.HP.COM> nelson_p at apollo.HP.COM (Peter Nelson) writes:

>   Part of the problem is that the manufacturers are abusing the
>   "you open it, you can't return it" clause on their packaging.
>   ...if I spend $350 on a C++ compiler I'm stuck with it
>   no matter how dissatisfying it is.

Having developed software for such a company I share your views.

>   As a software developer I'm very sensitive to the need to protect
>   the company and to ensure that it is compensated for its work.
>   But it is not clear that allowing the return of an unsatisfying
>   product would make the illicit copying problem any worse than
>   it already is, nor is it clear that we are fully exploiting all
>   possible technological fixes to that problem.

Limiting software to a particular period of time or number of
executions appears difficult, especially on PCs, but even on
workstations. And the problem with crippling the software until
the person knows they want it means they don't really get to
try it out. If we could find a good solution it would be really
useful.

>                                                 ---Peter

daniel