RISC Machine Data Structure Word Alignment Problems?

Herman Rubin cik at l.cc.purdue.edu
Sun Feb 11 12:58:51 AEST 1990

In article <328 at ctycal.UUCP>, ingoldsb at ctycal.UUCP (Terry Ingoldsby) writes:
> In article <1648 at skye.ed.ac.uk>, richard at aiai.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) writes:
> > In article <LJ81OX3ggpc2 at ficc.uu.net> peter at ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:

> I don't know why this is so astonishing; you can't write out binary
> values for integers between machines, what would lead anyone to believe
> that structures should be any different.

I can see no more reason why strings of ASCII characters should be
transferrable by hardware with little software intervention than binary
integers, other fixed place binary numbers, other types of numbers (not
strings of numerals), mathematical symbols beyond the usual ones, etc.
Phone: (317)494-6054
hrubin at l.cc.purdue.edu (Internet, bitnet, UUCP)