Adaptive perfect hashing

Adrian J Ho laba-3ec at web-3g.berkeley.edu
Mon Feb 19 10:34:44 AEST 1990

Does anyone have any references to adaptive perfect hashing algorithms?  I'm
writing a PostScript-like interpreter and I'd like to speed up dictionary
lookups radically (especially since I'm expecting HUGE dictionaries).  What
I'm basically looking for is the ability to generate a perfect hash function
(a la gperf) on the fly.  Obviously, I'm not going to call it every time the
user adds a new definition, so the speed of the algorithm is not too
important (wouldn't mind having my cake and eating it too, though).

Also, does anyone have any C code that implements the algorithms?  I'd
rather not re-invent the wheel if at all possible, and wading through the
gperf code isn't very smart right when homework's starting to pile up.

PS. I heard rumors that the paper alluded to in the gperf docs
("Implementation Details of GNU gperf", v2.0) that describes "the high-level
description of the data structures and algorithms used to implement gperf"
has been released.  Can anyone confirm this, and if so, how can I go about
getting a copy?

Please email all replies to me, as I don't read these newsgroups regularly.
I'll post a summary after an appropriate length of time.

Thanks in advance.

Adrian J Ho					   adrianho at cory.berkeley.edu
University of California, Berkeley		   adrianho at soda.berkeley.edu