getting a key from stdin in UNIX

Kers kers at hplb.hpl.hp.com
Thu Feb 8 04:12:19 AEST 1990

tchrist at convex.COM (Tom Christiansen) writes:

   I strongly believe that any vendor who gives you a C compiler
   without lint is ripping you off.  It's like not having any
   brakes or directions on your car.  Get on the horn and bitch.

*Some* C compilers are rude enough about implausible constructs to make lint
redundant. I'd much rather my compiler told me that it had kindly declared an
-extern int toggle_swicth()- for me than (a) wait for the linker to laugh, or
(b) be forced to run an extra program to perform this elementary check.

And no, I'm not advertising HP compilers, either.

Regards, Kers.