Bug in DEC's C compiler(s)

George Kyriazis kyriazis at herodotus.rdrc.rpi.edu
Wed Jan 3 05:38:01 AEST 1990

In article <1528 at utkcs2.cs.utk.edu> battle at alphard.cs.utk.edu (David Battle) writes:
>I seem to have discovered a bug in DEC's Ultrix C compilers.  The bug
>exhibits itself on both vax and mips architectures.  The problem is that
>it seems to ignore objects declared as "void *".  Here is an example,
>straight out of K&R2 (page 121):

[ lots of interesting bechmarks ]

>Am I missing something here, or is this a real bug?

Last year I had the same problem with a uVAX II C compiler and I
think it is a bug.  The program compiled fine on suns.  I got
around it with a useless:  '#define void char' and now it works
in both architectures.  Since char *'s have the smaller stride size
(1 byte) everything should work fine.

I wonder what DEC people have to say about that though..

>					-David L. Battle
>					 battle at battle.esd.ornl.gov
>					 battle at utkux1.utk.edu

  George Kyriazis