How do you name table/structure elements?

Michael T. Sullivan sullivan at aqdata.uucp
Wed Jan 17 04:02:17 AEST 1990

I would like to get some feedback as to how and why you name your
database table rows or C structure elements.  As far as I can tell,
there are two camps:  the "plain descriptive" and the "table/structure
descriptive".  Let me give an example:  supposed you have a
table/structure called "customer".  Its elements can be named two ways

        plain descriptive                 table/structure descriptive
        -----------------                 ---------------------------
        name                              cu_name
        address                           cu_address
        city                              cu_city
        state                             cu_state
        zip                               cu_zip
                      ...and so on.

I can see arguments for both but I'd like to find out what the rest
of the world thinks about this.  One reason is curiousity but another
is that our company is trying to come up with certain standards for
employees to follow and this may be one of them.  Before making any
decisions we'd like to hear different viewpoints.  Feel free to either
send me mail or debate on the net.  Both will be helpful.  Thank you.
--
Michael Sullivan          uunet!jarthur!aqdata!sullivan
aQdata, Inc.              sullivan at aqdata.uucp
San Dimas, CA