Frequently Asked Questions file will not exist

Don Libes libes at cme.nist.gov
Thu May 10 05:16:36 AEST 1990

In article <2550128 at hpisod2.HP.COM> decot at hpisod2.HP.COM (Dave Decot) writes:
>> I encourage people to answer questions by citing references to easily
>> accessible sources.  For example:
>>
>> 	Q: How does malloc work?
>> 	A: See K&R2, page ...
>>
>> 	Q: Can we add "complex" to C?
>> 	A: See JCLT, vol 1, page ...
>
>Do you really think everyone has the economic resources to keep a current
>set of JCLT around?  Subscriptions to this publication are rather expensive.

I have mixed feelings about JCLT.  It is expensive and I wish the
price was a lot lower.  However, the articles are generally excellent.
(Plus they carry no advertising.)

JCLT addresses a very clearly defined slice of C topics.  If you are
interested in these areas, it is a must.  If you personally can't
afford it, or cannot borrow a copy from your local technical library,
I must question how you got your computer (and job) without adequate
documentation.

JCLT is not for everyone.  I rarely refer people to it.  However, if
someone walked into my office and began to discuss their ideas for
modifying the C language, I would indeed expect them to have read
JCLT, otherwise they don't value their time very much.  Like I said in
my earlier message, most of this stuff has been published before.

Don Libes          libes at cme.nist.gov      ...!uunet!cme-durer!libes

Disclaimer: I have no connection with JCLT.