Frequently Asked Questions file will not exist

Chris Kern ck at voa3.UUCP
Thu May 10 03:28:39 AEST 1990

In article <1990May8.154907.26477 at utzoo.uucp> henry at utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer)
writes:

>. . . the reason the abbreviation "RTFM" exists is that people
>*don't read* the literature.  The usual result of this is that they post
>a query and it provokes two weeks of discussion, much of it ill-informed.

Precisely.  The problem has never been frequently-asked questions.
It is frequently-given answers, many of them sufficiently dubious
to (1) alert long-time subscribers to this group -- i.e., just about
everyone except the type of person who posts a frequently-asked
question -- to the fact that they are ill-informed and (2) provoke
corrections from others who do know the answer and who feel the need
to counteract the previous misinformation.

Perhaps what we need is a monthly posting that says something to the
effect: "Many questions about C are asked over and over.  Knowledgeable
subscribers to this group grow weary of them, and never post follow-ups,
although they may assist the original poster by replying via electronic
mail.  Therefore, if you post a question, only the mailed responses can
be considered reliable."

The regular subscribers will be able to distinguish between a legitimate
and a bogus thread, the newcomers will be warned -- and maybe those who
habitually rise to the bait of a frequently-asked question will show
some restraint in the interest of avoiding the stigma of being
considered less than knowledgeable.

--
Chris Kern			     Voice of America, Washington, D.C.
...uunet!voa3!ck					+1 202-485-7020