Am I happy to have MS C 6.0 ???

Mike O'Brien 6600sirt at ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu
Tue May 8 11:54:21 AEST 1990

>From article <218 at demott.COM>, by kdq at demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt):
> In article <5136 at hub.ucsb.edu> 6600sirt at ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Mike O'Brien) writes:
>>From article <7956 at rouge.usl.edu>, by pcb at gator.cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs):
>>> From 'Hit any key to continue till the editor came back up':
>>>  			21 seconds
>>You're forcing PWB to close all files, swap itself to disk,
>>do what you asked, swap itself back, and reopen everything.
>     I've been able to do precisely this same thing with Epsilon for a couple
> years now, and it only take a couple seconds to get out and get back in.  It
> leaves only 4K resident in the process.  What's so wonder about MSC's new
> editor? (nothing - I'm certainly not going to use it, since it gives me no
> new features.)

I agree on this point.  PWB is cute, but it's just not worth that
kind of load time.

But, back to the original question.  Peter, here is one more way you
can speed up PWB if you still want to use it: in the /MSC/BIN
directory, rename *.MXT to *.EXT.  That will turn off the extension
autoload, which means that if you want to use an extension tool such
as browse you'll have to load it manually.  But, it will save you
about 30% off of each load and swap time.  This process is described
more fully in your README.DOC file.

Michael O'Brien
6600sirt at ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu