fdopen , open and memory release within scope ...

R. Kannan kannan at cathedral.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu
Tue May 8 07:41:25 AEST 1990

---======================

PSEUDO CODE

---======================

fn2(x)
int x ;
{
	FILE *fx , *fopen ;

	fx = fdopen (x,.... ); /* memory gets allocated */

	/* want to free the memory without closing the file descriptor
	   so that file descriptor can be used in the caller's scope
	   and close within that scope
	*/

	fclose (fx ) ; /* WILL CLOSE THE FILE associated withe
			  the input parameter as well isnt it?

	/* rest of fn2 */
	}

fn1()
	{
	int x ;

	x= open ( filename, mode etc );

	fn2(x) ;

	/* want to do other things as well as close the x */

	}

---======
PROBLEM::

	I want to do pass a file descriptor to a function wherein
	the function converts the file descriptor to a FILE pointer
	using fdopen.

	Now on exiting from the function I want to free all memories
	allocated (because of the FILE poitner) and leave the file
	descriptor in tact.

	Could you please e-mail to me if you have any sugestions.

	Please do E-MAIL. Prefer e-mail than posting to the whole
	net. Will summarize if there are requests ....

--kannan