Excerpts from "The C Programming Language" (Re: C bashing)

diamond@tkovoa diamond at tkou02.enet.dec.com
Tue May 29 15:26:31 AEST 1990

In article <791 at sagpd1.UUCP> jharkins at sagpd1.UUCP (Jim Harkins) writes:

>Why do these ADA/C/Pascal flame wars always crop up here?

They don't always.  They pop up in other groups too.

>Do we go into the ADA group and flame their language?

If "we" means you and me, the answer is no.  If "we" means net users,
the answer is yes.

>I don't, I don't even subscribe to the damn thing.

No wonder you're asking stupid questions.  (Based on false premises,
as in "have you stopped beating your wife"...)

>Why don't they stay where they belong and leave us real programmers alone?

Some of us real programmers would be glad to see a new language which
contains only new design flaws, instead of copying old design flaws.
It means we need to know what the old design flaws are.
(The LENGTHS of these arguments, and the religious issues of whether
the flaws are desirable or not, are indeed pains.)

Norman Diamond, Nihon DEC     diamond at tkou02.enet.dec.com
Proposed group comp.networks.load-reduction:  send your "yes" vote to /dev/null.