Assigning an array to a FILE structure

Tom Rombouts tomr at ashtate
Thu Oct 11 11:05:27 AEST 1990

They say the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked, so:

Is it possible using the ANSI stream I/O functions to assign an
array to a FILE structure so that fgetc() etc. will work on it?

To wit, I want to create code like this:

FILE * input_source;
char mybuffer[] = "This is text that I sometimes want to parse";

if( read_input_from_disk )
  input_source = fopen("somefile", "rb");
else
  input_source = make_virtual_file( mybuffer, strlen(mybuffer) );

ch = fgetc( input_source );

After RTFM'ing, it seems like this might be possible.  Perhaps one
can explicitly assign the FILE structure members.  Or, maybe there is
a way to attach the buffer to stdaux or stdin.  (If it matters I am
using MSC 5.1 in MS-DOS, but want to stay portable if I can.)  This
would seem like a common trick.  Netland, I seek your guidance....

Tom Rombouts  Torrance Techie  tomr at ashtate.A-T.com  V:(213) 538-7108