C Compiler under Unix System VR4

david d [zoo] zuhn zoo at grumpy.spa.umn.edu
Sat Oct 13 03:26:57 AEST 1990

[regarding the S5R4 #machine debate, which is this:

#assert #machine(pdp11)
#if #machine(pdp11)
#endif

Tony> One more thing.  Although I haven't confirmed this, it seem that
Tony> the #if #machine construct *is* ANSI, but that gcc is not
Tony> entirely ANSI (even with the -ansi option).

I would say that it is NOT ansi legal, or at least there is NO mention
of #assert (a basic element of this mechanism) in the ANSI standard.
I couldn't find exact wording about additional preprocessing
directives being implementation defined, undefined, or what, but it's
not part of the Standard.

david d [zoo] zuhn		Univ. of Minnesota Dept. of Astronomy
zoo at aps1.spa.umn.edu		      Automated Plate Scanner Project