C Compiler under Unix System VR4

Roy Phillips roy at alfrat.uucp
Tue Oct 9 01:26:51 AEST 1990

The standard header files supplied with AT&T's UNIX System V Release 4.2
contains pre-processor commands such as the following:

   #if #machine(pdp11)

The C preprocessor supplied has no problems with this, but my preferred C
compiler, gcc, objects, even in it's '-ansi' mode.  So I guess it's
not ANSI C.

My questions are::

1. Does anyone know about this pre-processor syntax? and is it
   supposed to be standard on SysVR4?

2. Assuming yes to the above, is there a patch for 'gcc' to cater for it?

As well as the above, the organisation of the library directory has changed
somewhat - 'gcc' can't find 'crt0.o', which is now in /usr/ccs/lib, instead
of /usr/lib (the same goes for most of the libraries).

We've UCB compatabilty now, but what about System V compatabilty?

Many thanks for help, past & future!

--
Roy Phillips
A+F SystemEntwicklung