Initializing arrays of char

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au
Sun Oct 7 14:36:12 AEST 1990

In article <26860 at mimsy.umd.edu>, chris at mimsy.umd.edu (Chris Torek) writes:
[char x[5] = "12345";]
> is a change in New (ANSI) C.
and provides a lucid explanation.  He further says
>   Since I use old compilers, I have not made up my mind on this.  I
>   am leaning towards the `not a bad idea after all' faction.

Data point:  the annotated C++ reference manual explicitly says that this
feature has _not_ been accepted for C++.  I don't know what the C++
standard will say; I'm sure there will be big fights over whether it is
better to be close to the C++ base document or the C standard.  At any
rate, for now, C code using this feature will not port to C++.

--
Fear most of all to be in error.	-- Kierkegaard, quoting Socrates.