Initializing arrays of char

Henry Spencer henry at zoo.toronto.edu
Sun Oct 7 09:20:47 AEST 1990

In article <21149:Oct604:52:2190 at kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
>> That's NUL.  NULL is a pointer.  NUL is a character.
>
>Only for people who think in C. I learned from Knuth, and I still write
>/\ (well, can't really do a capital lambda on a non-APL keyboard) when I
>think of the null/nil/meaningless pointer.
>
>The null character is 0. Meaning 3 in my dictionary...

The capitalization here is significant.  NULL is a name for 0, used when
discussing null [note lower case] pointers in C.  NUL is the official
ASCII name for the character with bit pattern 0000000, often used as a
null character.
--
Imagine life with OS/360 the standard  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
operating system.  Now think about X.  |  henry at zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry