Just a minor new twist on free()

Paul D. Smith pds at lemming.webo.dg.com
Thu Oct 18 00:24:09 AEST 1990

[] In article <PDS.90Oct15104036 at lemming.webo.dg.com> pds at lemming.webo.dg.com (Paul D. Smith) writes:
[] >Oh no! Not that!  *Never* *ever* *change* the standard libraries which
[] >ship with your compiler! (unless they don't work ;-)  Put it in some
[] >local header file please, I don't want to change my nice, working,
[] >ANSI-compliant header files in order to compile your program...

[] At UniFax, we ANSIfy the development environment on all of our
[] development machines.  Header files get protoized and missing
[] functions get added to the C library.

I'd say all this falls under the "unless they don't work" category! :-)
Even so, as has already been mentioned, there are probably better ways
of doing it than changing the standard includes.

I have more than once been bitten by adding/changing things in the /
and /usr directories which were shipped with the product, and having
many things not work (I once changed the owner of /usr/bin/login to
"bin" instead of root; now just *try* to login as anything except
root!  And it took a whole day to discover the problem.)

What do you do if you need to compile a program which relies on the
old headers?
--

                                                                paul
-----