Difference between "char *arr" and "char arr[]"

Erik Naggum enag at ifi.uio.no
Wed Oct 3 10:35:37 AEST 1990

In article <7920 at scolex.sco.COM> seanf at sco.COM (Sean Fagan) writes:

   In article <ENAG.90Sep25005953 at hild.ifi.uio.no> enag at ifi.uio.no (Erik Naggum) writes:
   >Rather, "char arr[14]" declares an array, but "extern char arr[]" only
   >declares that "arr" is some constant pointer the value of which is to
   >be resolved by the linker.

   *NO NO NO NO*!

   'extern char arr[]' does *not* declare, in any way, shape, or form, a
   pointer.

I'm sorry for all the confusion my severely overloaded use of
"constant" has caused.  I have been corrected by what seems like all
the ANSI C programmers in the known and not-so-known universe, and
they all point out that we have a "char * const ptr" construct, which
I have always thought was a horrible abomination, and thus totally
forgot that people could think I meant.

Other than this unfortunate choice of words, we all agree.  Relax,
all.  My mailbox is off limits, already.

Next time I want to overload, I'll post to comp.lang.c++.

--
[Erik Naggum]		Naggum Software; Gaustadalleen 21; 0371 OSLO; NORWAY
	I disclaim,	<erik at naggum.uu.no>, <enag at ifi.uio.no>