SCCS REVISION HISTORY

Pete Jolly petej at itcode.Eng.Sun.COM
Sat Oct 20 04:41:39 AEST 1990

I come from an environment that used RCS rather heavily and
now I am forced (much to my disgust) to use SCCS for source
archive control.  I don't like SCCS because in my opinion
it is too hard to get started with and doesn't offer the
overall flexibility that RCS does.  I will concede that
it may be much more powerful for those large scale projects
that have multiple programmers working on the same software.

One such thing that I found missing is the ability to store
source code revision history in the source file itself.  RCS
lets you do this by replacing a history variable with the history
of the revisions.  This allows you to place the history where
you want it to go in the extracted version.  SCCS has the "prs"
option which allows you to print out the revision history
on stdout but that, of course, is not in the original source.  If
someone has a copy of the source file and wants to know what
the revision history is, they also need access to the
SCCS files.

Does anyone out there have any ideas on how to incorporate
revision history into SCCS source files??

Thanks in advance,

Pete Jolly.