C matrix routines

Rob Carriere rob at rhine.eng.ohio-state.edu
Sun May 12 12:12:37 AEST 1991

In article <499 at yetti.UUCP> anestis at yetti.UUCP (Anestis Toptsis) writes:

>Also I know of another package, called MATLAB (for Matrix Laboratory).
>As far as I recall, it is from Univ. of New Mexico and has versions
>for PC, VMS, UNIX. I have seen it advertised in a shareware catalog
>1-2 years ago.

There are 2 versions of MATLAB.  The one you are referring to is written in
FORTRAN and is indeed free; the new matlab (PRO-MATLAB on UNIX systems,
PC-MATLAB on IBM PC/PS2, MacIntosh MATLAB on the Mac) is written in C and is a
commercial product.  Neither version is a function library; both are complete
interactive interpretive languages.  Both versions have facilities for linking
in user-written code (which could be in C), both have facilites for talking to
other programs.

If you are looking for a library that you distribute with your program, new
MATLAB is not it (each user of your program would have to buy a license from
the MathWorks).  I guess you could use old MATLAB in this way, but it
definitely wasn't designed for such use.

SR
---