Summary of C Compilers from INFOWORLD

Stephen B Coy coy at ssc-vax
Fri May 24 04:51:50 AEST 1991

In article <1991May21.175117.4101 at rivm.nl> epiren at rivm.nl (I.A.Kreis) writes:
>You don't have to specify the LIB variable. You don't have to link either.
>It is a compiler, not a linker. They DO give away alinker with the compiler
>package, which in my case works well. The LMB (linker) accepts full pathnames,
>which can be easily found in the first of T4FM's, but I agree,
>just experimenting with it is a quicker way to find out. Flaming is even
>quicker.

Yes this works just fine but why should I have to explicitely
specify the path to the library I want to link with?  On the command
line I've already specified the memory model I want so why can't
Lattice figure out which library that corresponds to?  Every other
compiler on the market can.  As I also noted, Lattice has fixed this
behavior in their 286 (and I assume 386) developer's kits.  Since
Lattice is no longer providing updates I assume it will never be
fixed in the basic package.  I find this kind of behavior
unacceptable in a compiler especially in light of InfoWorld's
recommendation of Lattice as a good package for beginners.

Sorry if I touched a nerve but I stand by my assertion that if you
are going to buy a compiler, Lattice is not a good choise.

>Adriaan van Kessel
>epiren at rivm.nl

Stephen Coy
coy at ssc-vax.UUCP