looking for interpreter / macro language facility

Ken Dickey kend at data.UUCP
Fri May 24 05:54:21 AEST 1991

ajb at miles.WPI.EDU (Arthur J. Butler) writes:

>hi.  i am looking for advice and/or suggestions on an interpreter or
>macro language facility which i plan on adding to my application.  are
>there common languages which are used to add macro facilities to
>applications?  are there any PD/commercial lisp implementations
>available which would suffice?

You can get a number of Scheme interpreters written in C.  They range
from small ("scm") to huge (MIT Scheme).  What machines are you runing
on?

==========

You might look at "scm" initially, which is fairly minimal in size and
requires the least knowledge to hack. It has been widely ported (Mac,
PC, Suns, etc.).

	ftp altdorf.ai.mit.edu (anonymous)
	cd archive/scm

For Sun3/4 (and Vaxen?), "ELK" is pretty nice:

	Elk 1.2 is available on uunet.uu.net and I believe
	on gatekeeper.dec.com.  You can also try to connect
	to the `archie' server on say quiche.cs.mcgill.ca
	and search for "elk".

If you are going for 68K machines (Sun3, Next, Mac), you might take a
look at the "Gambit" compiler.  It has an interpreter and is linkable
with C binaries.:

	You can get a copy of Gambit (release 1.5) via
	anonymous ftp from the machine acorn.cs.brandeis.edu
	(address 129.64.3.8).  It is in the /dist directory
	and is compressed (about 400K).

-Ken Dickey			kend at data.uucp