debugging run-time Unix C programs

mike.stefanik mike at bria.UUCP
Fri May 10 07:43:02 AEST 1991

In an article, Erich_S_Proudfit at cup.portal.com writes:

>I would like some help debugging a 'C' program on a Unix system.  What are the
>names of the debuggers on Unix that will help me debug a program in run-time?

Well, since all UNIX systems were not created equal, you may or may not have
access to the three standard ones.  There is adb, which is rather bare-bones
and cryptic; there is sdb which is bare-bones, cryptic, but provides source
references; and there is dbx which is a bit nicer (IMHO) than the other two.

Of course, you may have third party debuggers as well as vendor added
goodies, but these are three that I'm familiar with.

--
Michael Stefanik, MGI Inc, Los Angeles | Opinions stated are never realistic
Title of the week: Systems Engineer    | UUCP: ...!uunet!bria!mike