debugging run-time Unix C programs

Garrett Wollman wollman at emily.uvm.edu
Fri May 17 05:01:36 AEST 1991

In article <262 at bria.UUCP> uunet!bria!mike writes:
>Well, since all UNIX systems were not created equal, you may or may not have
>access to the three standard ones.  There is adb, which is rather bare-bones
>and cryptic; there is sdb which is bare-bones, cryptic, but provides source
>references; and there is dbx which is a bit nicer (IMHO) than the other two.
>
>Of course, you may have third party debuggers as well as vendor added
>goodies, but these are three that I'm familiar with.

[Not really C-related]

Around here, most people use gdb (the GNU DeBugger), either under
Emacs gdb-mode, or under one of the X-based interfaces; except on
Silcon Graphics boxen, which gdb doesn't support (MIPS processor and
COFF) yet, where everybody uses dbx, and possibly edge, an SGI
front-end for dbx.

-GAWollman

Garrett A. Wollman - wollman at emily.uvm.edu

Disclaimer:  I'm not even sure this represents *my* opinion, never
mind UVM's, EMBA's, EMBA-CF's, or indeed anyone else's.