UniForum, etc.

Roger Bielefeld rab at cdcvax.UUCP
Wed Dec 7 08:13:36 AEST 1983

I realize that someone else commented on this recently, but here's
a corroboration and (maybe) just a little more...

A friend of mine also pulled the unforgiving stunt of indicating
on the UniForum registration form that he wanted to attend sessions
opposite one another.  He, too, got a call saying that that just
wasn't permitted.  He was also told that (1) badges, tickets, or
something similar would be issued to insure that only those who
had properly indicated their desire to attend a particular session
would be permitted to, that (2) if there were seats remaining after
those who had officially enrolled for a session had had their
chance to get in, others would be allowed in, and [hold onto your
hats for this one] that (3) if a legitimate enrollee for a session
left the room during the session, he or she would be required to
stand in line outside the room with the non-enrollees in order to
get back in.

One thing that really burns me up about this is that nothing of
these policies is mentioned in the glossy registration form that
was sent out.  You don't have yours handy?  Well, I do, and here's
what it says:  "...Note that many of the sessions are concurrent.
You are asked on the registration form (page 7) to indicate your
preferences on which sessions you will attend.  This assists the
organizers in making the best possible seating and audio-visual
arrangements."  It doesn't sound to me like there's anything
binding about what little numbers I choose to circle on the form.

What do you say?  Do we just ignore all this b*llsh*t and do
things like we always have in the past, or do we turn ourselves
into sheep?

			Roger Bielefeld
			decvax!cwruecmp!cdcvax!rab