AT&T vs. Berkeley UNIX ??

Deborah Scherrer scherrer at mtxinu.UUCP
Wed Feb 13 08:27:19 AEST 1985

> Can anyone point me towards any type of documentation that
> will clarify the differences between Berkeley and AT&T
> versions of UNIX???

There is a paper by John Chambers and John Quarterman titled
``UNIX System V and 4.1C BSD'' which compares the two systems.
The paper was given at the Toronto USENIX Conference and also
appears in the Toronto proceedings.  (THe Proceedings are purchasable from
the USENIX Office.)  At one time the paper was also online at
decvax, seismo, ut-ngp, and ut-sally for copying with uucp,
as ~uucp/compare (a description) and ~uucp/compare.[123] (the paper,
15 pages per file).  It was also available over the ARPANET from utexas-11 as
~ftp/compare.doc (login ftp, password guest, retrieve ./compare.doc).

At one time Quarterman and Chambers claimed "There will probably
be a later version called ``UNIX System V and 4.2BSD'' when we get a 4.2
tape.  That version will also contain revisions according to comments we
received at USENIX and after; the present version does not,
as we cannot work on it now but nonetheless wish to satisfy
the numerous requests for copies."

For further information:
     John Chambers                   John Quarterman
     ihnp4!ut-ngp!ut-sally!jbc       ihnp4!ut-ngp!ut-sally!jsq
     jbc at utexas-11.ARPA              jsq at utexas-11.ARPA
     409-761-1813                    512-454-2668